Legal And VCAT Expert Witness
professional dispute winners
MFS Expert Witness Service
» Detailed and VCAT compliant reports.
» Independent and unbiased expert advice.
» We do independent engineering and not advocacy.
» Experienced Forensic Structural Expert Witnesses.
» Knowledgeable about legal requirements at VCAT, tribunals and courts.
Building Expert Witness for Homeowners
An expert witness is someone who has specialised knowledge in a specific field and is asked to present evidence for legal proceedings. Whether you are a homeowner or investor, builders and developers or insurance and loss adjusters, there may come a time when you need a building expert witness to back up your claims regarding property damage in court. Unfortunately, we hear the same story quite often from clients; they hired a builder to work on their building and afterwards, noticed that there were significant damages and structural problems. However, the builders refused to take responsibility. After speaking with us, they agreed to have a thorough building inspection and forensic investigation conducted to definitively determine the cause of the damage. In the end, we concluded that the damage is due to poor or inexperienced builders.
Building Expert Witness for Builders and Insurers
On the other hand, we have also worked with builders and construction companies that were falsely accused of causing damage to a building when, in reality, it was caused by harsh weather conditions or normal movements in the building’s footings. With both situations, several of our clients were forced to go to court to prove their case. However, a judge isn’t going to rule in someone’s favour based on assumptions. That’s why you need a building expert witness.
Get An Expert With Right Knowledge
We Become Part Of Your Legal Team
Not Sure if you need a Building Expert Witness?
Not only are legal proceedings over the quality of building works and workmanships time-consuming, but they are also extremely costly to resolve in court. Evidence shows that over 40% of court settlements go to legal experts, which is why early settlement is preferred. That’s why MFS Engineering provides you with an independent and objective opinion on technical matters to help you fully understand your case prior committing to such an expensive practice.
However, there are some disputes regarding building damage that can only be settled in court. It can be both frustrating and overwhelming to collect every piece of information required by the court for your case while also juggling interactions with lawyers and builders. This is where MFS Engineering can help.
MFS Building Expert Witnesses
1. We are with you every step of the way. A senior forensic structural engineer can help you prepare for your court case and present your evidence before a judge You should note that judges are not engineers. Therefore, having a persuasive engineer as an expert witness can help the judge to understand all technical matters related to the case.
2. We have seen it all (almost). MFS Engineering is specialised in investigation and structural failure analysis. With years of experience in Forensic Structural Engineering field, we have gathered an invaluable database of cases and scenarios on what can go wrong with a structure during design, construction and even after several years of occupancy.
3. We provide Independent Building Expert Report. An expert witness is someone who is an expert in their field and can use their specialised knowledge to attest to the validity of evidence in court. An expert witness, such as a forensic engineer, must be able to help their client while abiding by both the laws of the court and a code of ethics.
4. We know the language of Law. Our forensic engineers can act as expert witnesses in structural damage cases because they not only have experience regarding structures, but also possess a working knowledge of the legal system. They are able to use appropriate language in court to convey their message. It could be damaging to use anyone other than a forensic engineer as an expert witness for your court case, as improper use of litigation vocabulary can tarnish your case. Furthermore, forensic engineers are familiar with court settings and know precisely when to introduce reports for the most significant impact.
5. We comply with VCAT requirements. If you are involved in a dispute over structural failure or cosmetic property damage, it is necessary to engage an expert witness who is experienced, knowledgeable and persuasive. Hence, at MFS Engineering, our senior forensic structural engineers can act as expert witnesses to assist you in relation to disputes lodged with the Victorian Civil and Administration Tribunal (VCAT). Our reports are completed in a VCAT compliant format, known as ‘Practice Note-PNVCAT 2.’
« Finally, we provide independent opinions on the cause of structural damage for cases that go to VCAT and save our clients costly fees »
Take a look at our other services:
Call us or drop us a line to speak with
one of our friendly Structural Engineers
Investigation of damage to Victorian and Edwardian style houses in Melbourne Popular architectural styles in Australia are constantly changing. Australian residences used to be made of inexpensive imported materials before adopting elegant architectural styles from abroad. The British Victorian, European Georgian, and Californian bungalow styles