Pre Purchase Inspection
MFS Pre-purchase Structural Inspection
» Detailed and in-depth structural pre-purchase inspection.
» Analysing structural performance of building by senior engineer.
» Identifying major structural defects and site maintenance issues.
» Expert opinion on expected future structural damage to the house.
» Expert recommendation on required site and structural upgrades.
Old-school Pre-purchase building inspections
Let’s face it! Sellers always try to improve the appeal of their property in several obvious ways. This is to increase its value before you buy it. Therefore, it is fair to say that most of the defects of a house are either fixed or temporarily hidden for you or your Builder to see. Consequently, at MFS we realised that inspecting roofs, windows, decks, verandahs and likes will not lead to ground-breaking discoveries to help new homebuyers having a safe investment. Instead, a competent Pre-purchase Structural Inspector should inspect the building from structural point of view.
Useful Pre-purchase Structural Inspection
Whether you are purchasing a home for your family or a building for your company, you should consider proper due-diligence and pre-purchase structural inspection tactics. It is a massive investment and should be handled with attention to detail and expertise. Homebuyers should learn that most serious problems that start to show up after the purchase are due to poor footing and structural performance of the building, not a cracked roof tile for example.
Footing Performance Analysis as part of Pre-purchase Inspection
Unfortunately, often people are so excited about their property purchase that they neglect to properly inspect the building from structural point of view. As part of our Forensic Structural inspections of buildings, we have met so many homeowners who’ve become significantly disappointed in their pre-purchase building inspection report years after purchasing the property. They all have one common complaint: no one analysed the performance of the footing. Now they are left with poorly designed or constructed footing that costs thousands of dollars to fix.
Understand the structure like an Engineer
Before you sign any type of contract, it’s imperative that you are able to make a well-informed decision. Unlike others, our qualified senior structural engineers assess the structural integrity of your property (instead of cosmetic defects) to save you money, time and annoyances in the future. Our pre-purchase structural inspection report will allow you to better understand the property, uncover any hidden structural or non-structural damages and made an informed decision as to whether the purchase is a smart choice.
Before You Invest On A Project Or A Property
Our Report Will Ensure A Sound Investment
Do I need Pre-purchase Property Inspection?
Many houses and commercial buildings on the market today are beautiful on the inside and outside. However, it’s this beauty that can blind homeowners and investors to any structural or cosmetic damages. A forensic building engineer, on the other hand, is highly trained and can pick up on any hidden defects. Without the assistance of a trained structural engineer in Melbourne, you could be scammed into purchasing a building that looks amazing, but has significant damage that would put a serious dent in your bank account to fix.
What is included in MFS Pre-purchase Structural Inspection?
- A thorough inspection of accessible areas of the building.
- Assessment of structural stability, watertightness and standard of workmanship.
- A comprehensive pre-purchase structural inspection report. The report includes the building’s structural integrity and list of any structural defects to the property detected at the time of the inspection.
« The pre-purchase structural inspection report relates to the current condition of the property and is completed to the Australian standards by an experienced structural engineer. It will detail any damages, safety and maintenance issues, site drainage issues, as well as trees and vegetation which may cause foundation movements.»
Benefits of MFS Pre-purchase Structural Inspection
1. Understand the property you want to buy better. When you are making as big of an investment as purchasing a home or commercial building, you need to know all the facts.
2. Uncover any hidden structural or non-structural damages. Don’t be left unaware of significant risks associated with purchasing the property.
3. Make an informed decision. Make sure that the purchase is a smart choice.
4. Negotiate a lower purchase price. If there is significant structural damage, but you are still interested in the property, the pre-purchase structural inspection report can help you save thousands of dollars.
5. Ask MFS’s Engineer to focus on specific issues that matter the most to you. For example, if you are thinking of potentially renovating or extending the property, you can get a much better idea about your options and the possible extent of structural works.
6. You Receive a non-computerised report. We do not produce reports within “24 hours”. We inspect properties from structural point of view. Therefore, we analyse the performance of every structure very carefully. We take our structural inspections and investigations very seriously and that’s why our reports are reliable. However, if you are in hurry, we have enough resources to prioritise your project. We can also arrange to issue your report within 3 business days.
7. Communicating with us is easier than ever. We designed our CRM portal for easier communication and better interactions between Engineer and client. Get your questions answered by your engineer or upload your additional documents to be reviewed for your case.
« Don’t enter into any contract or purchase agreement blindly and always seek the help of a trained forensic structural engineer. By insisting that a pre-purchase report is conducted prior to purchasing a property, you will be protecting all of your assets and ensuring that your investment is profitable.»
Examples of Homebuyers who did not do Pre-purchase Structural Inspection
Significant settlement of concrete waffle slab in Caroline Springs. The client engaged MFS to investigate the cause of significant cracking to ceilings and cornices of the house after only 4 years of occupancy. They did an old-school pre-purchase building inspection at the time of purchase. The report included photographs of some existing cracks, but it did not raise any flags about the actual reason behind the damages. If the Owners knew what type of footing they are buying and what are its maintenance requirements, what future movements they should expect and why, then they may not have been as disappointed as they are today!
Concrete Stiffened Raft Slab near Sewer Easement. The Owner who bought the property in less than a year contacted MFS to conduct Forensic Structural Investigation of his significantly distressed building. At the time of the inspection, the owner showed us photographs of the house taken at the time of purchase. Obviously, the photos showed a perfect and crack-free house. But now, less than a year later, almost every wall within the house cracks, some more significant than others. Our investigation showed that the house was constructed too close to a sewer easement without proper footing design. All cracks were patched by previous owner, but unfortunately, the owner’s pre-purchase building inspection did not report these.
Take a look at our other services:
Call us or drop us a line to speak with
one of our friendly Structural Engineers
Investigation of damage to Victorian and Edwardian style houses in Melbourne Popular architectural styles in Australia are constantly changing. Australian residences used to be made of inexpensive imported materials before adopting elegant architectural styles from abroad. The British Victorian, European Georgian, and Californian bungalow styles
Kenneth L. Carper